OUR STORY

The Te Atatu Boating Club was started by a handful of volunteers in the early 1960’s.  They reclaimed some of the tidal area and made a rudimentary launching area.  Prior to that, boats had been pushed through the mangroves for launching.  In the mid-sixties there was more activity and sheds arrived on the site soon after. 

 

The early clubhouse was made of prefab ex-school buildings and the existing clubhouse was opened in 1984.  A substantial wharf has been operating for quite some time.  Recent developments include all-tide ramps and dinghy pontoons.  A large boat maintenance and painting shed is a new addition.

Membership has increased steadily from the early handful (maybe a dozen), to the nearly 750 families that now belong to the club.  It is a family orientated club and consequently there are in excess of 1400 people associated with the club.

At present there is yard space and equipment for maintenance of members’ vessels and some trailer parking space for members’ trailer boats (this space is limited however).    The club also provides launching facilities for the general public and provides space for various surf life saving clubs (for their training etc.).  Both sailing and power vessels are catered for.  The clubrooms include a bar and a restaurant, as well as there being a BBQ area and children’s playground outside.

BOAT CLUB COMMITEE

Commodore

Martin Beeby

Vice Commodore

Wayne Deacon

Property Officer

Wayne Deacon

Club Captain
Maryanne Lagaluga

Executive Committee

Denis Berg
Lyn Salvidge
Peter Sergent
Andrew Somers

 

Treasurer

Denis Berg

Club Manager

Steve Clifton

Office Manager

Sandy O’Neill